Criminal Defense Law
If you have been charged with a misdemeanor or felony criminal offense you need the assistance of a skilled trial attorney to defend you from prosecution and protect your constitutional rights. In our system of justice every person charged with a criminal offense is entitled to representation of counsel.
Our firm of criminal defense attorneys have successfully defended and represented clients for more than 35 years. We handle every kind of case from driving offenses, domestic battery, to possession of a controlled substance. If you have been wrongfully stopped or detained by the police we can investigate and prepare motion to suppress evidence and dismiss if warranted. We can help the accused through every step of the case. The value of having a competent attorney who understands the law and process cannot be understated. We understand that your liberty and freedom are at stake in this process. It is our goal to answer your questions and guide you through with empathy and professional service.
Criminal cases involve a bail hearings, arraignment, pretrial conferences, trial, and sentencing if a person is convicted. Throughout each phase, the defense attorney’s role includes:
- Investigation: Our firm examines the circumstances of the crime and gather evidence that could prove their client’s innocence or mitigate the severity of the punishment.
- Advice of Counsel: We advise their clients on the best course of action based on the specifics of the case.
- Representation: We represent clients in court, presenting evidence, cross-examining witnesses, and arguing on their client’s behalf.
- Negotiation: In any case we may negotiate with the prosecutor for a plea bargain, which often reduces the charges or the length of the sentence.
- Trial: If your case cannot be resolved, we will represent you at trial before a jury of your peers. We have the skills and the knowledge to help you win an acquittal.
Our firm aggressively defends individuals charged with a crime in Idaho in state or federal cases. Whether you have a traffic offense, a DUI, or something more serious, we strive is to ensure that you have effective, competent representation at every stage of the criminal proceeding.
Contact Joseph L. Ellsworth at Ellsworth Kallas & DeFranco, PLLC if you wish to schedule a consultation to discuss your case. The initial consultation is free of charge.